Monday, May 17, 2010

The 'Mommy Club'

Being 28 weeks pregnant with my first little one (and yes, I do plan on having more), I can't help but feel like I've been initiated into some secret society, or what I like to call 'The Mommy Club'. The club you can only get into by beginning the wonderful journey called motherhood filled with teething babies and poop splattered walls. Whenever I see other pregnant women I glance at them with a knowing look and smile as if we're sharing a deep secret that only us mothers can understand... Finally I can weigh in on such important subjects as the importance of waterproof crib mattress pads (you layer them with sheets so if your little one has an accident, you can just strip 'em off and have another clean layer waiting for you... a secret my own mom taught me), and give my oh-so-helpful advice to those who are 'less' pregnant than me (prescription prenatals ALWAYS go down better than over the counter ones, especially if you take them at night after a big meal). Ironically when people do this to me it DRIVES ME CRAZY, but what can I say...
Once the little one is actually here I can't wait to have play dates with other mama's so we can complain about the cost of child care and constant lack of sleep. (Yes, it's the little things in life that keep me happy...) I can't help but feel a sense of importance about my life now that my main focus isn't on what bars I'll be going to this weekend or who slept with who.... again. Instead I get to sit with the other moms at baby showers and family gatherings and gossip about the younger girls who are (GOD FORBID!) being SOOOOOO promiscuous and throwing their lives away... And oh yes, I am officially responsible for bringing dishes and desserts to holiday dinners at my in-laws house. This is a BIG DEAL. I'm sure all of this self-righteousness will backfire and I'll soon be begging to go back to the good ol' days of one night stands and puking in the driveway, but for now, I'm enjoying feeling like I'm part of this members-only club...

My little sprout at 18 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment