Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Recipe - Garlic Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

Photobucket

I make pasta ALL THE TIME. It's usually a quick and easy meal for me to throw together on a busy night. Normally I'm a marinara gal, but I also love me some fettuccine alfredo. A few days back I was having a major craving when it hit me that I've never made fettuccine alfredo from scratch before. I knew I had to get on that right away.... it couldn't be that hard! But when I started looking at recipes online I couldn't find the right one. They were all missing the ingredients I wanted or had strange spices in them. I then decided it would be a good idea to make up my own recipe (for something I'd never even made before). I just took the main ingredients for the alfredo sauce and added some of my own. I also wanted to add garlic and chicken because, obviously. Luckily it turned out great except for excessive lemon flavor, but I've adapted my recipe below to remedy that. I love how there's so many different ways to eat this dish (with chicken, shrimp, garlic, broccoli, etc.) and this is something I'll definitely be making again!

(I'm just going to apologize right now for the bad photos. I have no natural light in my kitchen and I made this late in the evening)

Photobucket


Garlic Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
Ingredients

  • 1lb fettuccine noodles
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cloves of chopped garlic
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 cups grated parmesan
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper

Start by cooking the pasta in a large pot of boiling and salted water until tender. It took me about 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Chop your garlic into small pieces. Don't worry about being perfect, they can be rough and uneven pieces.

Photobucket

Meanwhile, add your butter to a LARGE skillet. I used the largest skillet I had and it was still overflowing so go big! Over low heat, melt the butter and then add your garlic.

Photobucket

Let the garlic and butter simmer until the garlic turns slightly brown.

Photobucket

Stir 2 1/2 cups of the cream and the lemon juice. Increase to medium heat and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from the heat. Add the pasta and toss. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of cream, and Parmesan to the skillet. Add the lemon zest, nutmeg, salt, and white pepper.

Toss the pasta mixture over low heat until the sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Since I was using pre-made chicken strips I added that in at the end. I steamed some brocoli and baked some garlic bread to serve with. It was delicious!

Enjoy! If anyone else makes this let me know... I'd love to hear how you liked it!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment