Sunday, November 21, 2010

No yeast cinnamon rolls [RECIPE].

One of my favorite things about the weekend is waking up and making a delicious breakfast. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I love to go all out. This weekend I woke up craving cinnamon rolls and knew I had to make them. I quickly did a search for a recipe that doesn't use yeast because I didn't have any on hand and I stumbled upon this one. I decided to give it a try so I tied my apron on and got to work!

(Original recipe below with my notes in bold. Pictures taken by me)

Cinnamon Rolls

INGREDIENTS

1 cup warm milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, softened
4 1/2 cups bread flour (I used all-purpose flour which works fine although bread flour does taste better)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder

1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp water (eliminate if you’re opening a new package of brown sugar)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened

4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature (I used half this amount)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

DIRECTIONS

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Mix the first six ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, mixing thoroughly until the dough forms a large ball.












Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, water and cinnamon.












Divide the dough into ten pieces, and roll each one into a 2″ by 10″ rectangle. Spread the dough with the cinnamon mixture.











Roll each strip into a tightly formed roll. Place rolls in a 9×13 inch baking pan, allowing some room for the rolls to expand.












Bake the rolls until just starting to turn golden, about 15 minutes.











While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, and confectioners sugar. Spread frosting on the rolls before serving.






















Makes 10 cinnamon rolls.

Thoughts: These rolls were yummy! The only complaint was that the icing had TOO much cream cheese (and I halfed the recipe) but if you love cream cheese icing then it's probably perfect for you. I'm not a huge fan of it so next time I'll probably use plain ol' icing! I also loved how fast they were to make... with a teething 4 month old I need quick and easy recipes and these definitely fit the bill.

If you decide to make these let me know how they turn out! Did you love the cream cheese frosting or will you use regular icing like me? I'd love to know!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment