Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Friday Favorites: Matroyshka love.

I'm very proud of my Russian heritage. Although I am basically a European mutt, I identify the most with my Russian roots. My great-grandfather, Sasha Voliskoy, was a Russian Count and his life fascinates me. A few years back I started researching and learning everything I could about the country and I discovered Russian nesting dolls (also known as matroyshka or babushka dolls). I fell in love. Over the years I've started my own little collection of the traditional dolls and even got one tattooed on me. Today's Friday Favorites shows a little love to the matroyshka dolls found all over Etsy.



These eco-friendly matroyshka Russian dolls are hand-cut and sewn and they each come with their own embellishment. I adore the cupcake one hiding in the back.


These matroyshka canvas key holders are too cute! Look at the one on the left holding a pot!


I think I need this matroyshka hostess apron. No, really.


These matroyshka doll ornaments are sure to light up any Christmas tree!


I love the detailing on this feminine Matroyshka make-up bag!


Any baby girl would love one of these matroyshka rattle dolls. They have a bell inside for a fun sound effect!

And just for fun, here's a picture of Sasha himself and my own (freshly done) matroyshka tattoo! It's still not finished yet 2 years later!





















No comments:

Post a Comment