Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentine's Day Dessert Event - Day 1


I've decided to skip Friday Favorites this week in order to introduce a fun Valentine's Day mini-event I'll be having here at Domesticated Delight! I don't know about you, but for me Valentine's Day is all about the sweets. Whether it be candy or baked goods you can always count me in... I just love the cute and creative desserts that starts popping up around the blogosphere this time of the year and I'm always inspired by them! So this year I've decided to choose 3 Valentine desserts I've seen lately and re-create them and then share the outcome with you! The event will take place today, Saturday, and Sunday which gives you enough time to re-create them yourself if you wish! I'm super excited to show you all what I've been up to!

First up are these mini chocolate chip cookie sandwiches. Aren't they adorable? When I first laid eyes on the recipe (found here) I knew I had to make them. Not only are they delicious, but they are so festive and whimsical... I knew they would be perfect! The recipe does tend to get tedious and can take awhile, so make sure you start after you've tucked your little ones in bed!


You will need:

For the cookies:


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

For the butter cream:

  • 1 stick butter, at room temperature
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

First, pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees. Then you're going to mix the flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk and set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.


Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.



Scoop out cookie dough and roll into small 1-inch balls (a little smaller than the size of a walnut) onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.



While your cookies are cooling you can start on your butter cream frosting! Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of the milk, and the vanilla. On medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, and more milk as needed, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar or milk. Stir in any food coloring at this point, if desired.

Now it's time to assemble! Place your colored sprinkles in a shallow bowl or pie plate. When the cookies are cooled, spread a generous amount of frosting on the bottom of half the cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top and gently roll the sides in the sprinkles. And you're done!




Refrigerate until ready to serve. You’ll want to let them sit at out room temperature for at least 20-30 minutes before serving, so the cookies and frosting will soften a little. Enjoy! Makes approximately 25 sandwiches.

Make sure to come back tomorrow! I have another surprise that's sure to satisfy your sweet tooth!

P.S what do you guys think of the pictures? I'm obviously still a beginner, but I LOVE how these turned out... it's exactly how I imagined them! I am loving my new camera more each day and I can't wait to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment