Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day Dessert Event - Day 3

We finally made it to Day 3, and the final day of the Valentine's Day Dessert Event! I've had a ton of fun putting this together (although I'm ready to hang up my apron for at least a month) and I hope I've given some of you some good ideas to make your own valentines sweets! In cased you missed it, you can find Day 1 here and Day 2 here!

I got the idea to do cupcake in a jar here and slightly changed it to fit the look that I was going for. I apologize that I'm using another boxed mix (I bake from scratch 90% of the time), but it's been a busy, busy weekend! Of course you can always substitute for your favorite cake or cupcake recipe!

You will need:


  • 1 box Betty Crocker white cake mix

  • 3 egg whites

  • 1/3 cup oil

  • 1 can of cherry pie filling

  • 5 glass jars (I found mine at Michaels for $3)

(You do not need the frosting pictured here)


First, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix the oil and water with your cake mix, then take your eggs and separate the yolk from the egg whites.

Add the egg whites to your cake mix and whisk together until smooth. Then pour the batter into your glass jars and fill about 1/2 full.


Pop your jars right in the oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes. I say approximately because I initially put them in for 20 minutes and then kept adding time until I thought they were done. Make sure to test them with a fork or a toothpick before taking them out... Because the jars are so deep, the middle cooks very slowly! When they are done baking you'll notice that the batter has risen out of the jar.

Using a spoon, cut off the tops of the cupcakes and eat them save them for later. Your jar should be about half-way full and flat on the top. Then, spoon cherry pie filling on top creating an even layer.

Once your done put the top back on your jars, tie with a big red bow, and you're all done! These are SO delicious and make super sweet valentines for your loved ones. I plan on giving one each to my mom, my sister, and my best friend!



I hope everyone has enjoyed this short but sweet event! I've been baking up a storm all weekend and I'm excited to take a break today to go to Disneyland with the family to celebrate the day of LOVE! And if you decide to make any of these desserts please share... I'd love to see what you come up with!


No comments:

Post a Comment