Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wedding Planning Wednesday - The Big Exit


I've always believed the best parenting advice comes from other mom's, and I believe the same thing can be applied to weddings. I think real life experience is the best resource out there. Brides know what works and what doesn't work and people that have been to a ton of weddings have seen it all and can offer fresh ideas! This is where you come in... If you've been to a wedding, helped plan a wedding, been a bridesmaid, or had a wedding yourself then I want to ask your advice! Every now and then I will dedicated my Wedding Planning Wednesday to asking for YOUR suggestions and opinions. Any and all feedback is needed and greatly appreciated! 

The first topic I need help with is our BIG exit! Traditionally rice was thrown at the bride and groom as they left for the night, however it is prohibited in most places nowadays because birds try to eat the rice and choke on it. Modern brides have done everything from birdseed to sparklers to confetti for their exit, but all of those things are prohibited at my venue because it IS a nature center first and foremost. So what does that leave me with? The only thing I can think of is bubbles.Now. bubbles aren't a bad idea but I just feel like it's so predictable and I would love to come up with something a little more creative and unique. I've seen dried herbs such as lavender thrown and I am considering that, but there's got to be other ideas out there! So tell me, what have you seen done at weddings and what would you suggest we do? If you leave a suggestion in the comments below I'll love you forever and ever! XOXO

*image sources can be found on my Pinterest wedding board here.

11 comments:

  1. Bubbles would be pretty! But, what about butterflies? I've seen lots of photos online of the guests releasing butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DomesticatedDelightJuly 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM

    OOOOOH, that's a really unique idea!!! I will def be looking into that and it could work if it's not too expensive! Thanks hon! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenifer Symonds-GrasserJuly 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM

    What about the twirly wands? I love the vibrant colors of them. You can even add mini bells for some noise..

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/75818557/50-wedding-wands-wood-choose-colors-fall?ref=sr_gallery_21&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=wedding+wands&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about Chinese Lanterns? Something like this...

    http://www.buy.com/prod/10-sky-fire-chinese-lanterns-birthday-wedding-party/q/sellerid/23962916/loc/20269/217317383.html

    In addition to the butterflies you could also release Ladybugs, aren't they are sign of goodlu ck?

    ReplyDelete
  5. DomesticatedDelightJuly 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

    That's another great idea! Funny, I have almost the exact same wands in my Etsy shop without the bells! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. DomesticatedDelightJuly 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

    Oh wow, that is such a unique idea! I'll have to see if they're allowed at the venue, but if they are I think we just might use them. Thank you so much for the suggestion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ladybugs idea so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. is your wedding in the evening? is it for the sendoff when you leave the venue after you are already married? if your wedding is in the evening and you are using it for the sendoff at night you won't see the butterflies or the lady bugs.
    i think the laterns are beautiful.
    i would think twice about bubbles. i had a friend who did that a few years ago and her dress got ruined with the soap!
    what about bells?
    you could have this tied on a tag to the bell.

    “Hark! The merry chimes are pealing, Soft and glad the music swells, Gaily in the night wind stealing, Sweetly sound the wedding bells.” ~ Eliza Cook

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps... we did sparklers. while gorgeous in photos, terrible in reality!
    i got burned by a spark! thought my dress was going to catch on fire, and drunk people and flames are never a good combo!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. DomesticatedDelightJuly 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

    Yes, it will be at night for our send off. OMG, I can't believe I didn't even think of that.... you're right, no one will see butterflies/ladybugs. I am leaning more and more towards the lanterns, I just have to make sure it's okay with the venue first. I'm not really into bubbles and it will definitely be a last resort if we use them but I'll make sure to keep my dress far away! Thanks for the advice darling! XOXO

    PS. that quote is so pretty! Love the bells idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did butterflies and it was AWESOME. We had a very VERY small and low key wedding. And splurging on the butterflies was an amazing touch. Our guests had SO MUCH fun with it!

    Melissa @clareandsheshe

    ReplyDelete